Wednesday, May 13, 2009

new painting WIP



12x16in pencil and acrylic WIP

Threw down some super sketchy pencils and redrew with sepia acrylic. Added some light sepia washes to push shadow and pushed shadow further by mixing in some dark purple acrylic. I think it's visible that I don't bother erasing the pencil at all, even the "mistakes". It'll make nice texture and add some liveliness even if it isn't noticeable later on. I'm not thinking as hard this time because of the couple of paintings I did recently. Once I get more washes in I will have to think harder about lighting and mood. I'm considering trying to do something crazy like making light shafts, which seems scary.

Oh also, I tried doing the lines with a pointy brush instead of a flat brush and I really don't like the difference. The flat brushes are much much better. There is more variety in line width as well as control of that width. The pointy brush gets thick and gloppy way too easy. Kind of hated using it. The real difference is the medium, with inks the point brushes are dandy, but the acrylic is too thick, even the watery mess I tend to work with is too thick for good control.

1 comment:

Tirzah said...

This is already looking fantastic Katy! Can't wait to see more progress. :)